Marsha Gomes-Mckie's Blog

This blog welcomes and support emerging Caribbean Writers. I also review all books that interest me so feel free to reach out and ask for a review.

Selima and the Merfolk by Vanessa Salazar

Selima and the Merfolk - Vanessa Salazar

I am a sucker for happy ending so whenever I read a book, I secretly say to myself please don’t let this be an undercover tragedy. I get so caught up in a book that I literally feel like throwing it if the ending is horrid. (ok I have thrown some.)

I am pleased to report that ‘Selima and the Merfolk’ was enchanting. The book was full of beautiful descriptions and real emotions. It captured the local culture perfectly; anyone who has been to the beach Vanessa Salazar writes about will search their memory to remember those rocks. Youngsters and adults will relate to it. In the end I felt a little worried about Dave’s relationship but I look forward to enjoying more magic as the second book is published. I hope the manuscript is already in the works.

Overall, ‘Selima and the Merfolk’ was a refreshing read.

I felt like driving up to Las Cuevas, as I am in Trinidad to see if I can cross the jagged rocks into the isolated beach and find the hidden pool. Maybe I will someday.